Frequently Asked Questions
- How many volumes will be published?
- At present, it is contemplated that the print edition of The Joseph Smith Papers will consist of about two dozen volumes, divided into six series: Documents, Journals, Revelations and Translations, Histories, Administrative Records, and Legal, Business, and Financial Records. Transcripts of all known and available Joseph Smith documents will be published on the Joseph Smith Papers website, along with the annotation from the printed volumes and images of almost all of the documents.
- Why are the volumes so expensive?
- The resources required to publish a volume that meets documentary editing standards are substantial, which is why most volumes of the Founding Fathers papers projects typically sell for more than $100. Because the Joseph Smith Papers Project has private funding as well as Church support, it has been able to reduce the cost per volume. Most volumes will be priced at or near $55, but volume prices will vary depending on the number of pages, whether the volume is in color, and other factors. The volumes of The Joseph Smith Papers are made of high-quality components (acid-free paper, Smyth-sewn binding, dyed cloth cover, and heavy cover board), which will allow the volumes to sustain decades of regular library use.
- When will the next volume be published?
- The project plans to publish volumes at a rate of about two each year. The project will publish the Council of Fifty Minutes in the fall of 2016.