History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 Addenda

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 44
image
have set our hearts it should be a caution unto us not to set  our affections too firmly upon others, knowing that they may in like  manner be taken from us. Our affections should be placed upon  God, and his work more intensely than upon our fellow beings.

Addenda • 8 November 1841

<1841  Novr. 8> The baptismal Font is situated in the centre of the basement room  under the main hall of the , it is constructed of pine tim ber and put together of staves tongued and grooved, oval shaped  <page 1244> 16 feet long, east and West and 12 feet wide; 7 feet High from  the foundation, the Basin 4 feet deep, the moulding of the  cap and base are formed of beautiful carved work in antique  style. The sides are finished with pannel work. a flight of  Stairs on the North and South sides leading up and down into the  bason Guarded by side railing. The font stands upon 12 oxen  4 on each side, and 2 at each end, their heads shoulders and  fore legs projecting out from under the font they are carved  out of pine plank, glued together and copied after the most  beautiful five year old steer that could be found in the country  and they are an excellent striking likeness of the original, the Horns,  were Geometrically formed after the most perfect horns that could  be procured, the oxen and ornamental mouldings of the Font  were carved by Elder from the city of  which occupied eight months of time. The font was enclosed  by a temporary frame building sided up with split oak clap boards with a roof of the same material, and was so low  that the timbers of the first storey were laid above it, the  water was supplied from a well 30 feet deep in the east end  of the basement.
This font was built for the Baptisms for the dead until  the should be finished when a more durable one will supply  its place.

Addenda • 20 November 1841

<Nov 20> Seven of the Twelve Apostles met in Council at the house of  <page 1250> on the subject of the Times and Seasons; they not being satisfied with the manner  Gustavis [Gustavus] Hills had conducted the editorial department since the death of .

Addenda • 21 November 1841

<21> Sunday 21; My brother and Elder preached.
The Twelve met in Council at ’s; and at 4 o’clock repaired  <page 1250> to the Baptismal font in the basement of the . Elders  , and , baptized about 40 persons; for the dead. [p. 44]
have set our hearts it should be a caution unto us not to set our affections too firmly upon others, knowing that they may in like manner be taken from us. Our affections should be placed upon God, and his work more intensely than upon our fellow beings.

Addenda • 8 November 1841

1841 Novr. 8 The baptismal Font is situated in the centre of the basement room under the main hall of the , it is constructed of pine timber and put together of staves tongued and grooved, oval shaped page 1244 16 feet long, east and West and 12 feet wide; 7 feet High from the foundation, the Basin 4 feet deep, the moulding of the cap and base are formed of beautiful carved work in antique style. The sides are finished with pannel work. a flight of Stairs on the North and South sides leading up and down into the bason Guarded by side railing. The font stands upon 12 oxen 4 on each side, and 2 at each end, their heads shoulders and fore legs projecting out from under the font they are carved out of pine plank, glued together and copied after the most beautiful five year old steer that could be found in the country and they are an excellent striking likeness of the original, the Horns, were Geometrically formed after the most perfect horns that could be procured, the oxen and ornamental mouldings of the Font were carved by Elder from the city of which occupied eight months time. The font was enclosed by a temporary frame building sided up with split oak clapboards with a roof of the same material, and was so low that the timbers of the first storey were laid above it, the water was supplied from a well 30 feet deep in the east end of the basement.
This font was built for the Baptisms for the dead until the should be finished when a more durable one will supply its place.

Addenda • 20 November 1841

Nov 20 Seven of the Twelve Apostles met in Council at the house of page 1250 on the subject of the Times and Seasons; they not being satisfied with the manner Gustavis [Gustavus] Hills had conducted the editorial department since the death of .

Addenda • 21 November 1841

21 Sunday 21; My brother and Elder preached.
The Twelve met in Council at ’s; and at 4 o’clock repaired page 1250 to the Baptismal font in the basement of the . Elders , and , baptized about 40 persons; for the dead. [p. 44]
Page 44