Wayne County, New York
First permanent white settlement established, Mar. 1789. Created from Ontario and Seneca counties, 11 Apr. 1823. Bounded on north by Lake Ontario. County seat, Lyons. Erie Canal completed through southern portion of county, near Palmyra, by 1825. Population in 1820 about 20,000. Population in 1830 about 34,000. Locations of important activities and events in early Mormon history in county include townships of Palmyra, Arcadia, and Lyons.