Minutes, 10 November 1837

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction

Document Transcript

. Tuesday, Nov. 10. 1837.
At a general meeting of the of the in this place, opened the meeting by prayer, and Pres’t. read the memorial of the of , and his counsellors, to the churches abroad of Sept. 18th. 1837. He then laid before the meeting the subject of laying off Cities, of consecrating for public purposes, and for remunerating those who appoint and lay them off, &c. When it was unanimously voted that all city plotts hereafter laid off, after remunerating those for their labors who may be engaged in appointing and laying off the same, shall be consecrated for the public benefit of the church— for building houses for public worship, or such other purposes as the church shall say.
then read the prospectus of the “Elders’ Journal,”— which was unanimously received. It was then also unanimously voted that the persons present use their exertions to support said paper.
It was then voted that the town of be enlarged so that it contain four sections— that is, two miles square.
Voted, that and his counsellors be appointed a committee to appraise the land adjacent to the present Town Plott, see that it is enlarged according to the above vote, provided the present holders of the lands will take such a price for the same, as the above appraisers shall think worth, and that the same be then disposed of as is voted above.
A call was then made for those whose circumstances were such as to permit, to go out to preach, to present themselves. These were twenty-three who arose.
Sylvester H. Earl, , and John W. Clark, were ordained Elders, and William J. Lemans was ordained a .
then closed the meeting by prayer.
Clerk—. [p. 86]

Footnotes

  1. 1

    The same request for support is found in the prospectus for the Elders’ Journal. Rigdon may have emphasized the need for support because of the debts of the printing office, many of which were the result of subscribers of the Messenger and Advocate failing to make payments. (Sidney Rigdon, Elders’ Journal Prospectus, LDS Messenger and Advocate, Sept. 1837, 3:573; Elders’ Journal, Oct. 1837; Elders’ Journal, Nov. 1837.)  

    Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate. Kirtland, OH. Oct. 1834–Sept. 1837.

  2. 2

    The original town plot purchased by John Whitmer and William W. Phelps was one square mile and was divided into 121 blocks of land. Phelps and Whitmer signed and acknowledged a plat for the town plot before Elias Higbee, a justice of the Caldwell County court, on 13 April 1837. (See “Description of Far West Plat,” copy, Brigham Young University and Church History and Doctrine Department, Church History Project Collection, CHL; and Cannon and Cook, Far West Record, 121.)  

    “Description of Far West Plat,” 1837. Brigham Young University and Church History and Doctrine Department, Church History Project Collection, 1977–1981. Photocopy. CHL. Original at State Historical Society of Missouri, Columbia.

    Cannon, Donald Q., and Lyndon W. Cook, eds. Far West Record: Minutes of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830–1844. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1983.