Minutes, 9 April 1842

  • Source Note

Document Transcript

Saturday April 9th. 1842.—
City Col. met at Two oClock afternoon. Meeting opened by Prayer, <​reading of the​> Minutes of last Meeting dispensed with until next meeting,— Names of Council Called.
A Petn. was presented on behalf of Saml Henderson & ors for liberty to keep a Well open, which was referred to the Committee of improvement <​Public Grounds​>.
A Petn on behalf of Nathan Cheney & o[the]rs for a Well to remain open, was presented, & refd. to the Comittee of Improvet <​public​> Grounds.—
<​See hereafter.​>
A Petn. from Reuben Atwood & ors to open Bagbee Street, was <​from​> presented Parley Street North to Kimball Street, was presented, as also a Remonstrance, The Petn. (having a Majority of Signatures,) was Granted, at the expence of the Petrs.
A Petn. from & ors for a Bridge on Carlin Street, at the junction of Joseph Street, across the Ravine, was presented, & referred to the Committee of Improvement.—
A Petn. from Jeremiah Curtis & others to have Hibbard Street opened, was referred to the Committee of improvement.—
A Petn. was presented by Genl , to have a Right Angle made on Harris Street two Blocks to the South, sd Angle to be made on the East Line of Thomas Beatys Farm, & thence to go East according to the former ordinance, to the East End of the City Limits,— which was Granted.—
Resolved, that in all Cases before the authorities of this , Costs of Suit shall be Taxed against the unsuccessful Party.
passed Apl 9th. 1842.—
Recorder.— [p. 20]
)
Complt.)
Lewis Robinson [Robison],)
<​City​> Constable Defendant)
The s. Affidt. Read—
Sworn, as also , , & .—
Deft. pleaded not guilty to <​the​> Charge in afft..
exd., & X examined.—
examined, & Cross Examined.—
Exd., & X Examid..—
Exd., & X Examined.—
Moved Seconded & Carried, that Cause be Dismissed.—
<​Stricken out by the direction of Col April 22nd. 1842.—​>
Resolved that the Name Carlin be stricken out of the City Platt as the name of a Street, & that the Name Hyde be inserted instead thereof, and Woodruff, for Bluff. Page St instead of Back Street.— Bennett instead of Warsaw.— Cahoon instead of Bennett.— Hill St. to be Hills St.—
Resolved that <​the City​> Marshal () do enter upon his Duties, & lodge his Bond with Security, at next Meeting.—
Collector to make his Returns the Second Saturday in June next.—
<​Genl Order on Treasurer 26 Apl 42.​>
The Assessors Fees for assessment <​for the year 1841​> Amounting to Seventy Dollars, for thirty five Days assessing, were <​was​> allowed.—
<​Genl​> & <​Aldn​> are instructed to Contract <​with​> <​ & ano[the]r​> for liberty for Him <​& anor​> to run a Wing into the for a Dam, & that the & as instructed, to confirm the same.
The Committee brought forward their Report upon the Petn. for opening Bagbee St. which was accepted, & the Report adopted, that Bagbee Street be opened from Parley Street North to Kimball Street, at the expence of Reuben Atwood & ors, Petitioners.
The [p. 21]
The Committee to whom was referred the Selection of Names for Streets, Reported, which was Accepted, & adopted the following Names for the two Streets, which are the only ones now without Names, viz first Wilson Street, second Law St
The following ordinances <​ A Bill​> was presented, & passed <​into an ordinance​> after the usual Readings & proceeds were had thereon, to wit.
An Ordinance amending an Ordinance, entitled “An Ordinance regulating Auctions in the City of
Sec 1. Be it ordained by the City Council of the City of that the 6th. Section of “An Ordinance regulating auctions in the City of ” be, and the same is hereby repealed.
Passed April 9th. 1842.
Recorder.—
The following Resolution was Adopted upon Motion of Genl. .—
Resolved by the City Council of the City of , that the procure a Copy of the Times & Seasons to be furnished for the use of the City Council, to Commence at the beginning of the present Volume.—
Adopted April 9th. 1842.—
, Recorder.—
The Committee brought forward their Report upon the Petn. of Saml. Henderson & ors, for liberty to keep a Well open, which was accepted, & adopted, to Wit, That the Well be permitted to remain open for Eight Months, which is on the first Street West of Wells Street.
The Committee reported upon the Petn. of Nathan Cheney & others, which was Accepted, & it was Adopted that the Well dug in the Street, at the Junction of Patridge St with Carlos St, shall be permitted to remain open for Eight Months.
The Committee reported upon the Petn. of & ors, which was Accepted, & adopted, that a Bridge be erected on Carlin St, at the Junction of Joseph Street, across the Ravine.
The [p. 22]
The Committee reported upon the Petn. of Jeremiah Curtis & ors, which was accepted, & Adopted, that Hibbard Street be opened from running eighty Rods, across Kimball’s addition only, & to be <​done​> at the expence of the Petrs..
An Ordinance <​Bill​> was presented <​for​> entitled. “An Ordinance to regulate Taverns and Ordinaries in the City of .” which recd. the Usual Readings, & passed <​by​> as follows, the above Title.
Adjourned until the Second Saturday in May next,
at 10 OClock A. M.— [p. 23]

Footnotes

  1. 1

    TEXT: Inserted vertically in left margin.  

  2. 2

    TEXT: Written vertically in left margin.  

  3. 3

    TEXT: Written vertically in left margin.