“Latter Day Saints,” 1844

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 409
image
. Here, in the fall of 1839, we commenced a city called  , in Hancock county, which, in December, 1840, received an  act of incorporation from the Legislature of , and is endowed  with as liberal powers as any city in the . , in  every respect, connected with increase and prosperity, has exceeded  the most sanguine expectations of thousands. It now contains near  1500 houses, and more than 15,000 inhabitants. The charter con tains, amongst its important powers, privileges, or immunities, a grant  for the “University of Nauvoo,” with the same liberal powers of the  , where all the arts and sciences will grow with the growth, and  strengthen the strength of this beloved city of the “saints of the last  days.” Another very commendatory provision of the charter is,  that that portion of the citizens subject to military duty are organized  into a body of independent military men, styled the “Nauvoo Legion,”  whose highest officer holds the rank, and is commissioned lieutenant- general. This legion, like other independent bodies of troops in this  republican government, is at the disposal of the Governor of this  , and President of the . There is also an act of  incorporation for an agricultural and manufacturing association, as  well as the Association.
The of God, now in the course of erection, being already  raised one story, and which is 120 feet by 80 feet, of stone, with po lished pilasters, of an entire new order of architecture, will be a  splendid house for the worship of God, as well as an unique wonder  for the world, it being built by the direct revelation of Jesus Christ  for the salvation of the living and the dead.
Since the organization of this church its progress has been rapid,  and its gain in numbers regular. Besides these , where  nearly every place of notoriety has heard the glad tidings of the  gospel of the Son of God, England, Ireland, and Scotland, have  shared largely in the fulness of the everlasting gospel, and thousands  have already gathered with their kindred saints, to this the corner stone of Zion. Missionaries of this church have gone to the East  Indies, to Australia, Germany, Constantinople, Egypt, Palestine, the  Islands of the Pacific, and are now preparing to open the door in the  extensive dominions of Russia.
There are no correct data by which the exact number of members  composing this now extensive, and still extending, Church of Jesus  Christ of Latter Day Saints can be known. Should it be supposed  at 150,000, it might still be short of the truth.
Believing the Bible to say what it means and mean what it says;  and guided by revelation according to the ancient order of the fathers [p. 409]
. Here, in the fall of 1839, we commenced a city called , in Hancock county, which, in December, 1840, received an act of incorporation from the Legislature of , and is endowed with as liberal powers as any city in the . , in every respect, connected with increase and prosperity, has exceeded the most sanguine expectations of thousands. It now contains near 1500 houses, and more than 15,000 inhabitants. The charter contains, amongst its important powers, privileges, or immunities, a grant for the “University of Nauvoo,” with the same liberal powers of the , where all the arts and sciences will grow with the growth, and strengthen the strength of this beloved city of the “saints of the last days.” Another very commendatory provision of the charter is, that that portion of the citizens subject to military duty are organized into a body of independent military men, styled the “Nauvoo Legion,” whose highest officer holds the rank, and is commissioned lieutenant-general. This legion, like other independent bodies of troops in this republican government, is at the disposal of the Governor of this , and President of the . There is also an act of incorporation for an agricultural and manufacturing association, as well as the Association.
The of God, now in the course of erection, being already raised one story, and which is 120 feet by 80 feet, of stone, with polished pilasters, of an entire new order of architecture, will be a splendid house for the worship of God, as well as an unique wonder for the world, it being built by the direct revelation of Jesus Christ for the salvation of the living and the dead.
Since the organization of this church its progress has been rapid, and its gain in numbers regular. Besides these , where nearly every place of notoriety has heard the glad tidings of the gospel of the Son of God, England, Ireland, and Scotland, have shared largely in the fulness of the everlasting gospel, and thousands have already gathered with their kindred saints, to this the cornerstone of Zion. Missionaries of this church have gone to the East Indies, to Australia, Germany, Constantinople, Egypt, Palestine, the Islands of the Pacific, and are now preparing to open the door in the extensive dominions of Russia.
There are no correct data by which the exact number of members composing this now extensive, and still extending, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints can be known. Should it be supposed at 150,000, it might still be short of the truth.
Believing the Bible to say what it means and mean what it says; and guided by revelation according to the ancient order of the fathers [p. 409]
Page 409