Frequently Asked Questions
- How many volumes will be published?
- At present, it is contemplated that the print edition of The Joseph Smith Papers will consist of twenty-seven volumes, divided into five series: Documents, Journals, Revelations and Translations, Histories, and Administrative Records; a sixth series, Legal, Business, and Financial Records, will be published online. Transcripts of all known and available Joseph Smith documents will be published on the Joseph Smith Papers website, along with the annotation from the printed volumes and images of almost all of the documents.
- Why are the volumes so expensive?
- The resources required to publish a volume that meets documentary editing standards are substantial, which is why most volumes of the Founding Fathers papers projects typically sell for more than $100. Because the Joseph Smith Papers Project has private funding as well as Church support, it has been able to reduce the cost per volume. Most volumes will be priced at or near $55, but volume prices will vary depending on the number of pages, whether the volume is in color, and other factors. The volumes of The Joseph Smith Papers are made of high-quality components (acid-free paper, Smyth-sewn binding, dyed cloth cover, and heavy cover board), which will allow the volumes to sustain decades of regular library use.
- When will the next volume be published?
- The project plans to publish volumes at a rate of about two each year. The projected publications for the remainder of the project are as follows:2020—Documents, Volume 10 and Documents, Volume 112021—Documents, Volume 12 and Revelations and Translations, Volume 52022—Documents, Volume 13 and Documents, Volume 142023—Documents, Volume 15