Part 3: 12 February–28 March 1836
During this period of about six weeks, JS spent much of his
time studying the Hebrew language under the instruction of . He
also saw to his familial and domestic concerns and at the same time
entertained visitors in , Ohio, who were interested in the Egyptian
artifacts, the , or “the work of the Lord”
The majority of the documents in this part highlight JS attending to the “duties of the
” as the neared completion and the anticipated
this time of preparation, JS continued to instruct and organize the
church, and he oversaw the passage of resolutions that standardized
the of men to offices and
centralized priesthood to a more formal
system of tracking the growing body of ordained men.
A historic event came at the end of these six weeks: after more than three
years of fund raising, construction work, and high expectations, the
was completed, and JS led the dedicatory services on
27 March 1836. Participants recorded that a spiritual outpouring
transpired that day. stated “that a Holy Angel of God” entered the
building and sat next to him and
during the dedicatory prayer offered by JS.
Benjamin Brown recorded that at a
meeting of the priesthood on the evening of the dedication, several
in attendance had “Miracilous Experiences” and saw “Many Visions”
during a Pentecostal event in the House of the Lord.