Located thirteen miles northwest of Louisville, Kentucky, in hilly area with poor soil and good timber. First permanent white settlers arrived in area, early 1800s. Population in 1833 about 200. En route from Missouri to Kirtland, Ohio, spring 1832, JS and Newel K. Whitney stayed in village at Porter’s public house for four weeks while Whitney’s broken leg healed. While in village, JS wrote letter to wife Emma, who was in Ohio.