Committee to build the House of the Lord
Three men tasked with collecting funds and supporting the building of the House of the Lord in Kirtland. The committee was originally formed in May 1833 to raise funds to build “a school house for the purpose of accommodating the Elders.” In June 1833, the committee members, Hyrum Smith, Jared Carter, and Reynolds Cahoon, were further instructed to “take the oversight of the building of the House of the Lord.” They were responsible for obtaining materials and raising funds for the project. The committee initially attempted to raise funds through the means of subscriptions, or promised donations, from church members. The committee was sometimes referred to as the “Chapel Committee.” By 1835, the committee established a “committee store” to supply goods to the workers building the House of the Lord.