Rigdon, Smith & Co.

Summary

A mercantile company composed of Sidney Rigdon, JS, and possibly Oliver Cowdery. In September 1836, the firm began operating a store in Chester, Ohio. It is unclear if the “Co.” in the firm’s name represented an abbreviation for “Cowdery” or the more common “Company.” The Chester store ledger demonstrates consistent business from September 1836 to March 1837, with a significant decrease after this period. The store closed in May 1837, but accounts in the extant store ledger were still being settled in June and July 1837. See also “.”

Links