A committee assigned to raise funds and direct the building of the Nauvoo temple; also called the building committee. Similar committees were appointed to supervise church construction projects in Kirtland, Ohio, and Far West, Missouri. On 3 October 1840, Alpheus Cutler, Reynolds Cahoon, and Elias Higbee were appointed as a committee responsible for managing the construction of the Nauvoo temple. JS, as trustee-in-trust for the church, supervised the committee’s efforts. Tithing donations to the church—both goods and labor—were used for temple construction and were managed by the temple committee. The committee secured building materials for the temple through the church’s Wisconsin lumbering operation, which the committee and the Nauvoo House Association were jointly responsible for overseeing. The committee also supervised the construction of the temple and managed the temple store.