Printing Plate for Facsimile 2, circa 4–circa 19 March 1842
, Printing plate for “A Fac-simile from the Book of Abraham, No. 2,” [, Hancock Co., IL, ca. 4–ca. 19 Mar. 1842]; Church History Museum, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City. Includes archival markings.
One printing plate representing an Egyptian hypocephalus, measuring 7¼ × 7½ × ⅞ inches (18 × 19 × 2 cm). The metal plate, measuring ¼ inch (1 cm), is attached to a wood block that measures ⅝ inch (2 cm), with one screw near each of the four corners and two screws near the center. The wood block split, apparently when the lower middle screw was secured to the wood. Notches measuring about 1¼–1½ × ¾–1 inches (3–4 × 2–3 cm) were cut out of the metal plate at each corner before the plate was attached to the wooden block; the notches are similar but not identical. The metal plate was evidently attached to the wooden block to make the entire plate the same height as the regular type. In two instances, pieces of type bearing the numerals 5 and 9 were attached to this plate by drilling holes through both the plate and the wood after they were fastened together and securing the type with a soft, putty-like substance. Twenty-one other numerals appear on the plate, but they were not set in type—rather, they were carved into the original woodcut from which the plate was made. These numerals identified elements of the hypocephalus that were explained in the text that was printed beneath the facsimile. A few places in the design bear evidence of repair. Metal that is less dull than the surrounding metal has been added to the plate, ostensibly to repair or complete the design. It is unclear how or why this was done. The back of the block has rectangular shapes impressed into the wood. The shapes may have been made by metal type during the time of printing. Work on the plate began around 4 March 1842 and was completed by the time the 15 March issue of the Times and Seasons was printed, around 19 March 1842. In or shortly after 1992, a museum call number (“LDS 92-326-2◊◊ <337>”) was recorded on the back of the plate.
The plate was cataloged by the Historian’s Office in 1858. At an unknown time, it was moved to the Bureau of Information at Temple Square, which was established in 1902. Later, it was transferred to the Museum of Church History and Art (now Church History Museum). By 1992, this plate had been processed and cataloged at that museum.
See the full bibliographic entries for the printing plates (LDS 92-326-337, LDS 92-326-295, and LDS 92-326-296) in the catalog of the Church History Museum, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City.