In September 1840 the church presidency announced its
intention to build a in . During a general
conference on 3 October 1840, JS spoke of the
necessity to “build a house for the worship of God,” and the conference
voted that , , and “be appointed a committee
to build the same.” The
three men continued to function as the temple building committee
throughout the period from February through November 1841.