City located on banks of Merrimack River, about twenty-five miles northwest of Boston. Incorporated as town, 1826. Incorporated as city, 1836. Population in 1840 about 20,000. Population in 1853 about 37,000. One of the most important manufacturing cities in United States. Eli Maginn corresponded with JS from city regarding preaching at city hall, 1842. Maginn baptized ten people in city, 1842.