Letter from John M. Bernhisel, 8 September 1841
, Letter, , New York Co., NY, to JS, , Hancock Co., IL, 8 Sept. 1841; handwriting of ; one page; JS Collection, CHL. Includes address, endorsement, and dockets.Bifolium measuring 9⅞ × 7⅝ inches (25 × 19 cm) and ruled with thirty horizontal blue lines. An embossed logo from a paper mill appears in the top left corner of the first page and reads “Southworth Co., Springfield”. The letter was written on the recto of the first leaf. The bifolium was trifolded twice in letter style, addressed, and sealed with a red adhesive wafer. The letter was endorsed in its trifolded state and was subsequently folded for filing.A docket by , who served in a clerical capacity for JS from 1841 to 1842, indicates that money was received and that the document was retained by the of JS in 1841. It reads: " | to | Jos. Smith | Sept. 8th 1841 | $40”. , who worked in the Church Historian’s Office from 1853 to 1859, docketed the letter a second time. The letter is listed in a Church Historian’s Office inventory from circa 1904. By 1973 the document had been included in the JS Collection at the Church Historical Department (now CHL). The dockets, inventory, and inclusion in the JS Collection indicate this letter has remained in continuous institutional custody since its receipt in 1841.
On 8 September 1841, wrote the following letter from to JS in , Illinois, to continue correspondence about a real estate transaction. As part of an earlier agreement, Bernhisel had sent JS $425 in July 1841 to purchase land in or around Nauvoo on Bernhisel’s behalf. In his 12 July 1841 letter, Bernhisel promised to send an additional cash deposit, which he sent with this 8 September letter, along with a book as a gift.gave the letter to , a member of the , to carry to . After Woodruff arrived in Nauvoo on 6 October 1841, he hand-delivered the letter and enclosures to JS. In a letter written two months later, JS expressed his gratitude for the included gift.