Deed to Robert Peirce, 28 February 1842
JS and , Deed for property in , Hancock Co., IL, to , 28 Feb. 1842; sealed by JS and ; witnessed by and ; certified by . Featured version copied 4 June 1842 in Hancock Co., IL, Deed Records, vol. K, pp. 281–282; unidentified handwriting; Hancock County Recorder’s Office, Carthage, IL.The deed was recorded in Deed Book K, the original physical dimensions of which volume are unknown. The volume contained 294 leaves (588 pages) and endpaper, now measuring 16⅜ × 10½ inches (42 × 27 cm). Nothing is known of the original binding, but by 1974 the volume was rebound and covered in white canvas, with “DEED RECORD | K | HANCOCK COUNTY” stamped in ink on the spine. A twenty-four leaf (forty-eight page) index in an unknown hand was inserted in the front of the volume, presumably around the same time. At an unknown time the text block and index were cut from the new binding, inserted into individual Mylar sleeves, and placed in a metal-and-board binder with a red exterior. The binder measures 18½ × 13 × 3¾ inches (47 × 33 × 10 cm). The volume contains handwritten deeds recorded 11 December 1841 to 2 June 1842.The volume has remained in the continuous custody of the , Illinois, recorder since its creation.
U.S. and Canada Record Collection. FHL.
On 28 February 1842 JS and deeded three lots on the , Illinois, plat to member . In March 1841 Peirce sold his farm in , Pennsylvania, to church in exchange for a note, valued at $5,000, that could be redeemed for property in Nauvoo. The three lots deeded to Peirce on 28 February 1842 were worth a total of $2,700 and were the final installment of the church’s obligation to Peirce. JS paid earlier installments in response to an August 1841 letter from Peirce requesting land be deeded to William Gheen “on my account” and a debt be paid to “Brother Whitesides.”The deed was produced in by . JS and signed that copy, which was witnessed by Richards and and certified by JS’s brother . This original deed was then taken to the clerk’s office in , Illinois, to be recorded in a county deed book, which was done on 4 June 1842. That copy is featured here.viewed the reception of the deed as a vindication of his faith. Earlier, news of his initial transaction with church agents garnered controversy in . Local newspapers suggested that church agents would not fulfill the land transactions they had entered into with eastern converts. The Saturday Courier cited the church’s purchase of Peirce’s farm land as a particularly blatant effort to defraud them. After receiving this deed, Peirce exonerated the church from any wrongdoing in a letter that was published in the Times and Seasons.