Agreement with Ebenezer and Elender Moore Wiggins, 14 May 1841
Ebenezer Wiggins and Elender Moore Wiggins, Agreement, with JS, , Hancock Co., IL, 14 May 1841; handwriting of JS; signature of Ebenezer Wiggins; mark of Elender Moore Wiggins; one page; JS Collection (Supplement), CHL. Includes notations and docket.Single leaf, measuring 13 × 8 inches (33 × 20 cm) and ruled horizontally with thirty-five blue lines. The agreement was written on the recto only. The document was folded for filing and docketed. The leaf has some separation along the folds and tearing on the outer edges.The docket by , who served in a clerical capacity for JS from 1841 to 1842, indicates the document was retained by the office of JS in 1841. Sometime between 1974 and 1984, the document was added to the JS Collection (Supplement) at the Church Historical Department (now CHL).
On 14 May 1841, JS entered an agreement to exchange property with Ebenezer and Elender Moore Wiggins. The Wigginses were residents and recent converts who lived just north of on a farm they acquired from Anson Call and Cyril Call in 1839. The Wigginses agreed to sell JS their farm—valued at $2,700—in exchange for $1,000 in Nauvoo city property, $100 in goods, and three annual payments of $533.33 in cash.JS wrote the agreement featured here, and Ebenezer Wiggins signed it for himself and his wife, though Elender also marked it with an “X.” The next day, on 15 May 1841, Ebenezer Wiggins officially deeded the property to ; for unknown reasons, JS was not named on that deed, despite the agreement featured here. The agreement was filed in JS’s office, and the deed was recorded in the record book six weeks later.