History, 1838–1856, volume A-1 [23 December 1805–30 August 1834]

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 283
image
and these seven men, with the common consent  of the comprising the , were to ap point presiding , to take the watch and care  of the several branches, as they were appointed:
Now, therfore, as many of the , and  Elders, whose calling were to travel and preach to the  world, went up to Zion and commenced regulating  and setting the branches in order, allowing themselves  to have as much power by the authority of their , and Gift of the Holy Ghost, as those set apart  and appointed to preside over the branches; it became  necessary to call the now spoken of, to set in  order the Elders of Israel; when, after a long discussion,  it was decided from the revelations, that the order taught  in the was correct; and that the  elders, when they arrived at Zion, were bound by the  authorities set in the church, to be submissive to the  powers that be: their labors and calling being more  particularly to push the people together from the ends  of the earth, to the places the Lord appointed. This  decision in council, gave general satisfaction, and  the elders soon saw the beauty of every man in his  place.

2 April 1833 • Tuesday

April 2d. was appointed, by a  council of High priests, an agent to superintend  and employ men to labor in the brick yard on  the , also to rent the farm. The was purchased on account of the Stone quarry  thereon & the facilities for making brick, <their being> each essen tial to the building up of the city. The council  also instructed Bro to purchase the  Tannery of Arnold Mason, in .

6 April 1833 • Saturday

On the 6th. of April, in the land of  which was within the western boundaries of the  State of , about eighty of the church, met  for instruction, and the service of God, at the Ferry  on Big Blue river, near the western limits of , which is the confines of the and the [p. 283]
and these seven men, with the common consent of the comprising the , were to appoint presiding , to take the watch care of the several branches, as they were appointed:
Now, therfore, as many of the , and Elders, whose calling were to travel and preach to the world, went up to Zion and commenced regulating and setting the branches in order, allowing themselves to have as much power by the authority of their , and Gift of the Holy Ghost, as those set apart and appointed to preside over the branches; it became necessary to call the now spoken of, to set in order the Elders of Israel; when, after a long discussion, it was decided from the revelations, that the order taught in the was correct; and that the elders, when they arrived at Zion, were bound by the authorities set in the church, to be submissive to the powers that be: their labors and calling being more particularly to push the people together from the ends of the earth, to the places the Lord appointed. This decision in council, gave general satisfaction, and the elders soon saw the beauty of every man in his place.

2 April 1833 • Tuesday

April 2d. was appointed, by a council of High priests, an agent to superintend and employ men to labor in the brick yard on the , also to rent the farm. The was purchased on account of the facilities for making brick, their being essential to the building up of the city. The council also instructed Bro to purchase the Tannery of Arnold Mason, in .

6 April 1833 • Saturday

On the 6th. of April, in the land of which was within the western boundaries of the State of , about eighty of the church, met for instruction, and the service of God, at the Ferry on Big Blue river, near the western limits of , which is the confines of the and the [p. 283]
Page 283