History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 [2 November 1838–31 July 1842]

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 1185
image
<​April 6​> revealed himself— he remarked, that he defied the devil to collect such an assembly none but Jesus would or could accomplish such things as we behold; the devil will not build up, but tear down and destroy; the work of Jesus is like himself in all ages— that as light shines from the east and spreads itself to the west, so is the progress of spiritual light and truth— that Jesus is a God of order, regularity and uniformity— that he works now by revelation and by messengers as anciently— shows himself— lifts the veil &c that such things are marvellous, but nevertheless true— that the order of laying the corner stones was expressive of the order of the kingdom— that the minutiae were subject matter of revelation, and all the scenery, acts of obedience, and understood by the saints— that the ancient Prophets beheld and rejoiced at this scene and are near to witness the fulfillment of their predictions— that we are highly favored of God, and brought near to the spirits of just men made perfect— he then closed by exhortation, first to the multitude, and lastly to the Church— The speaker then gave out a hymn page 205 and closed by prayer— The Architects, then, by the direction of the First Presidency, lowered the first (S. E. corner) stone to its place, and President Joseph Smith pronounced the benediction as follows, “This Principal Corner Stone in representation of the First Presidency, is now duly laid in honor of the great God; and may it there remain until the whole fabric is completed; and may the same be accomplished speedily; that the Saints may have a place to worship God, and the son of Man have where to lay his head.” President then pronounced the following, “May the persons employed in the erection of this be preserved from all harm while engaged in its construction, till the whole is completed; in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, even so— Amen—[”] Adjourned for one hour— [HC 4:329]
Assembled according to adjournment and proceeded to lay the remaining Corner Stones, according to previous order— The Second (S. W. corner) stone by the direction of the President of the High Priesthood, with his Council and , was lowered to its place, when the President of the High Priesthood pronounced the following: The second corner Stone, of the now building by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in honor to the great God, is duly laid, and may the same unanimity, that has been manifested on this occasion, continue till the whole is completed; that peace may rest upon it to the laying of the top stone thereof, and the turning of the key thereof; that the saints may participate in the blessings of Israel’s God within its walls, and the Glory of God rest upon the same Amen— The third (N. W. Corner) stone superintended by the High Council— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — was then lowered to its place, with the benediction of as follows: “The third Corner stone, — — — — — — — — — is now duly laid; — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — may this stone be a firm support to the <​​> that the whole may be completed as before purposed,[”] — — — — — — — — — — — — — — [p. 1185]
April 6 revealed himself— he remarked, that he defied the devil to collect such an assembly none but Jesus would or could accomplish such things as we behold; the devil will not build up, but tear down and destroy; the work of Jesus is like himself in all ages— that as light shines from the east and spreads itself to the west, so is the progress of spiritual light and truth— that Jesus is a God of order, regularity and uniformity— that he works now by revelation and by messengers as anciently— shows himself— lifts the veil &c that such things are marvellous, but nevertheless true— that the order of laying the corner stones was expressive of the order of the kingdom— that the minutiae were subject matter of revelation, and all the scenery, acts of obedience, and understood by the saints— that the ancient Prophets beheld and rejoiced at this scene and are near to witness the fulfillment of their predictions— that we are highly favored of God, and brought near to the spirits of just men made perfect— he then closed by exhortation, first to the multitude, and lastly to the Church— The speaker then gave out a hymn page 205 and closed by prayer— The Architects, then, by the direction of the First Presidency, lowered the first (S. E. corner) stone to its place, and President Joseph Smith pronounced the benediction as follows, “This Principal Corner Stone in representation of the First Presidency, is now duly laid in honor of the great God; and may it there remain until the whole fabric is completed; and may the same be accomplished speedily; that the Saints may have a place to worship God, and the son of Man have where to lay his head.” President then pronounced the following, “May the persons employed in the erection of this be preserved from all harm while engaged in its construction, till the whole is completed; in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, even so— Amen—” Adjourned for one hour— [HC 4:329]
Assembled according to adjournment and proceeded to lay the remaining Corner Stones, according to previous order— The Second (S. W. corner) stone by the direction of the President of the High Priesthood, with his Council and , was lowered to its place, when the President of the High Priesthood pronounced the following: The second corner Stone, of the now building by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in honor to the great God, is duly laid, and may the same unanimity, that has been manifested on this occasion, continue till the whole is completed; that peace may rest upon it to the laying of the top stone thereof, and the turning of the key thereof; that the saints may participate in the blessings of Israel’s God within its walls, and the Glory of God rest upon the same Amen— The third (N. W. Corner) stone superintended by the High Council— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — was then lowered to its place, with the benediction of as follows: “The third Corner stone, — — — — — — — — — is now duly laid; — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — may this stone be a firm support to the that the whole may be completed as before purposed,” — — — — — — — — — — — — — — [p. 1185]
Page 1185