History, 1838–1856, volume F-1 [1 May 1844–8 August 1844]

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 189
image
<​June 28​> to be borne. Mary [Fielding Smith] (’s wife) was also admitted, and manifested calmness and composure throughout the trying scene. The children of the martyred Prophet and were then admitted to see the bodies, when the scene beggared description, being perfectly heart rending. Relatives and particular friends were also permitted to visit them during the evening.
29 June 1844 • Saturday • First of Two Entries
<​29​> At seven next morning (29th) the bodies were put into the coffins which were covered with black velvet, fastened with brass nails. Over the face of each corpse was a lid hung with brass hinges, under which was a square of glass to protect the face, and the coffin was lined with white cambrie. The coffins were then each put into a rough pine box.
At 8 A. M. The room was thrown open for the Saints to view the bodies of their martyred prophet and patriarch; and it is estimated that over 10,000 persons visited the remains that day, as there was a perfect living stream of people entering in at the west door of the and out at the north door, from 8 A. M. to 5 P. M. at which hour a request was made [HC 6:627] that the should be cleared so that the families could take their farewell look at the remains. The coffins were then taken out of the boxes into the little bedroom in the North east corner of the , and there concealed and the door locked. Bags of sand were then placed in each end of the boxes which were then nailed up, and a mock funeral took place, the boxes being put into a hearse and driven to the grave yard by , and there deposited in a grave with the usual ceremonies. This was done to prevent the enemies of the martyred Prophet and getting possession of the bodies as they had threatened they would do. As the hearse passed the meeting ground accompanied by a few men, was preaching the funeral sermon
About midnight the coffins containing the bodies were taken from the by , , , , , Gilbert Goldsmith, , , and , preceded by as guard, with his musket. They went through the garden, round by the pump, and were conveyed to the which was then built to the first joists of the basement, and buried in the basement story. After the bodies were interred, and the ground smoothed off as it was before, and chips of wood and stone and other rubbish thrown over so as to make it appear like the rest of the ground around the graves, a most terrific shower of rain, accompanied with thunder and lightning occurred and obliterated all traces of the fact that the earth had been newly dug.
The bodies remained in the cellar of the , where they were buried until the fall when they were removed by , , and Gilbert Goldsmith at ’s request to near the and buried side by [HC 6:628] side, and the Bee House then moved and placed over their graves. The deceased children of Joseph were afterwards removed and interred in the same place. It was found at this time that two of ’s teeth had fallen into the inside of his mouth, supposed to have been done by a ball during the martyrdom, but which was not discovered at the time he was laid out, in consequence of his jaws being tied up [p. 189]
June 28 to be borne. Mary Fielding Smith (’s wife) was also admitted, and manifested calmness and composure throughout the trying scene. The children of the martyred Prophet and were then admitted to see the bodies, when the scene beggared description, being perfectly heart rending. Relatives and particular friends were also permitted to visit them during the evening.
29 June 1844 • Saturday • First of Two Entries
29 At seven next morning (29th) the bodies were put into the coffins which were covered with black velvet, fastened with brass nails. Over the face of each corpse was a lid hung with brass hinges, under which was a square of glass to protect the face, and the coffin was lined with white cambrie. The coffins were then each put into a rough pine box.
At 8 A. M. The room was thrown open for the Saints to view the bodies of their martyred prophet and patriarch; and it is estimated that over 10,000 persons visited the remains that day, as there was a perfect living stream of people entering in at the west door of the and out at the north door, from 8 A. M. to 5 P. M. at which hour a request was made [HC 6:627] that the should be cleared so that the families could take their farewell look at the remains. The coffins were then taken out of the boxes into the little bedroom in the North east corner of the , and there concealed and the door locked. Bags of sand were then placed in each end of the boxes which were then nailed up, and a mock funeral took place, the boxes being put into a hearse and driven to the grave yard by , and there deposited in a grave with the usual ceremonies. This was done to prevent the enemies of the martyred Prophet and getting possession of the bodies as they had threatened they would do. As the hearse passed the meeting ground accompanied by a few men, was preaching the funeral sermon
About midnight the coffins containing the bodies were taken from the by , , , , , Gilbert Goldsmith, , , and , preceded by as guard, with his musket. They went through the garden, round by the pump, and were conveyed to the which was then built to the first joists of the basement, and buried in the basement story. After the bodies were interred, and the ground smoothed off as it was before, and chips of wood and stone and other rubbish thrown over so as to make it appear like the rest of the ground around the graves, a most terrific shower of rain, accompanied with thunder and lightning occurred and obliterated all traces of the fact that the earth had been newly dug.
The bodies remained in the cellar of the , where they were buried until the fall when they were removed by , , and Gilbert Goldsmith at ’s request to near the and buried side by [HC 6:628] side, and the Bee House then moved and placed over their graves. The deceased children of Joseph were afterwards removed and interred in the same place. It was found at this time that two of ’s teeth had fallen into the inside of his mouth, supposed to have been done by a ball during the martyrdom, but which was not discovered at the time he was laid out, in consequence of his jaws being tied up [p. 189]
Page 189