History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 [2 November 1838–31 July 1842]

  • Source Note
  • Historical Introduction
Page 1261
image
<December 13> and others, from time to time, till the Spring or Summer of 1841  when articles of Agreement were entered into between Esqre., Witter,   and others, owners of the School Section; and the First Presidency; giving  the Saints the privilege of settling on the school section, which had been surveyed and  laid out in town lots, and called , on certain conditions; and went to on the 8th. of September, and spent several weeks to  prepare for the reception of Emigrants; in the mean time the Inhabitants of  , attempted to form an Anti-mormon Society, and were much enraged  because that Esquire Davis, (who had spoken favorably of the Saints) was appointed  Clerk of the County by Judge — In November two hundred <and four>  Saints arrived at , from England, led by , and were  visited on the 24th. of November by and of the Quorum of the  Twelve, and counselled to tarry at according to the instruction of the  First Presidency. December 13th. presiding Elder at  stated to the Presidency at , that Mr. Witter had risen one dollar per  barrel on flour, and sold the sweepings of his Mill to the Saints at $2.25  per hundred; and that Witter and had forbid<den> the brethren the privilege  of getting the old wood on the School Section, which they had full liberty to  get; that the price of wood on the wharf had fallen twenty five cents per Cord,  since the arrival of the Saints; that the Citizens had risen <raised> on their rents &c.  and the First Presidency decided that the Saints should remove from ,  to immediately, and that the proceedings at be published in  the Times and Seasons.
This morning delivered the Message I gave him on  Saturday evening to and <>, <the> Committee,  in presence of Elders , , and
by letter instructed the Saints at to remove to .
<*> “Baptism for the Dead. An Epistle of the Twelve <Apostles> to the Saints of the last days.  The building of the , in the City of , is occupying the first  place in the exertions and prayers of many of the Saints at the present time,  knowing as they do, that if this building is not completed, speedily, “we shall be  rejected as a Church with our dead,” for the Lord our God hath spoken it; but  while many are thus engaged in laboring, and watching and praying for this  all important object, there are many, very many more, who do not thus come up  to their privilege and their duty in this thing, and in many instances we are  confident that their neglect arises from a want of proper understanding of the  principles upon which this building is founded, and by which it must be completed.  The children of Israel were commanded to build a house in the land of  promise; and so are the Saints of the last days, as you will see in the Revelation  given to Joseph the Seer, January 19. 1841 wherein those ordinances may be revealed  which have been hid for ages, even their anointings and washings and baptisms  for the dead; wherein they may meet in solemn assemblies for their memorials,  sacrifices, and oracles in their most holy places; and wherein they may receive conversations  and statutes, and judgments for the beginning of the revelations and foundations of — [p. 1261]
December 13 and others, from time to time, till the Spring or Summer of 1841 when articles of Agreement were entered into between Esqre., Witter, and others, owners of the School Section; and the First Presidency; giving the Saints the privilege of settling on the school section, which had been surveyed and laid out in town lots, and called , on certain conditions; and went to on the 8th. of September, and spent several weeks to prepare for the reception of Emigrants; in the mean time the Inhabitants of , attempted to form an Anti-mormon Society, and were much enraged because that Esquire Davis, (who had spoken favorably of the Saints) was appointed Clerk of the County by Judge — In November two hundred and four Saints arrived at , from England, led by , and were visited on the 24th. of November by and of the Quorum of the Twelve, and counselled to tarry at according to the instruction of the First Presidency. December 13th. presiding Elder at stated to the Presidency at , that Mr. Witter had risen one dollar per barrel on flour, and sold the sweepings of his Mill to the Saints at $2.25 per hundred; and that Witter and had forbidden the brethren the privilege of getting the old wood on the School Section, which they had full liberty to get; that the price of wood on the wharf had fallen twenty five cents per Cord, since the arrival of the Saints; that the Citizens had raised on their rents &c. and the First Presidency decided that the Saints should remove from , to immediately, and that the proceedings at be published in the Times and Seasons.
This morning delivered the Message I gave him on Saturday evening to and , the Committee, in presence of Elders , , and
by letter instructed the Saints at to remove to .
* “Baptism for the Dead. An Epistle of the Twelve Apostles to the Saints of the last days. The building of the , in the City of , is occupying the first place in the exertions and prayers of many of the Saints at the present time, knowing as they do, that if this building is not completed, speedily, “we shall be rejected as a Church with our dead,” for the Lord our God hath spoken it; but while many are thus engaged in laboring, and watching and praying for this all important object, there are many, very many more, who do not thus come up to their privilege and their duty in this thing, and in many instances we are confident that their neglect arises from a want of proper understanding of the principles upon which this building is founded, and by which it must be completed. The children of Israel were commanded to build a house in the land of promise; and so are the Saints of the last days, as you will see in the Revelation given to Joseph the Seer, January 19. 1841 wherein those ordinances may be revealed which have been hid for ages, even their anointings and washings and baptisms for the dead; wherein they may meet in solemn assemblies for their memorials, sacrifices, and oracles in their most holy places; and wherein they may receive conversations and statutes, and judgments for the beginning of the revelations and foundations of — [p. 1261]
Page 1261